APL builds a new free-cooling data center for Groupama
|Customer name :||Groupama|
|Area of business :||Insurance|
|Accompanying mode :||Consulting - Project management|
|Type of service :||Assistance with the design and construction of a high energy efficiency data center|
Groupama Systèmes d'Information (GSI), which manages all IT production for the insurance group Groupama, decided to create a data center that would serve as a backup for its old center in Bourges, France, while also hosting a portion of its development IT.
GSI chose APL, which was making upgrades to the old site, to build this new, 3250-m² data center—dubbed "M2"—in the Rennes region.
- Build a data center with very high levels of availability
- Anticipate growth in IT demands
- Ensure the energy efficiency of the site
- Adhere to the Flood Risk Prevention Plan and earthquake regulations
- Design assistance: dimensioning, comparison of different options for containment and load balancing
- Thermal simulations, to compare different layout scenarios and anticipate fluctuations
- Organization of 4 computer rooms, each with 200 m² of compute space
- Economical and environmental analysis: estimation of energy consumption and PUE, advantages of free-cooling compared to other cooling solutions
- Data center designed and constructed within the prescribed timeframe (18 months)
- An HPE (High Energy Performance) site: high quality energy production, lighting, and free cooling of equipment supported by hydro-cooling units in the room
- Scalable data center architecture and installations, in order to absorb load spikes (with power draws varying between 1.5 kW HQ/m² and 3kW HQ/m²)
- Redundancy of all technical installations (electrical and climate control networks), in order to ensure continuity of service during construction, maintenance, load spikes, etc.
- Economical site performance, with very low operating costs